Tuesday, October 14, 2014

How it all started...


Last June, I was contacted by the US Embassy here in Luxembourg with an offer of an online course funded the American English Institute. The ambassador's representative, Ms Shaheen, explained that this course was for ESOL teachers and that they couldn't apply directly, they needed to be nominated by the embassy.

I found this offer intriguing and decided to check out what programs the Institute was offering - I had been thinking of creating a niche for myself at my school and this opportunity came at the right time. Web-based teaching skills for ESOL teachers was right up my alley, so to speak.

I enthusiastically requested to be nominated by the embassy.

In July, I received a reply and submitted a motivation letter, explaining my interest in the offered subject, and my willingness to set aside a couple of hours every day for 10 weeks to dedicate to the online class.

Then I waited for the decision: will they nominate me? Will I be accepted?

Finally, at the end of the summer break, I received an official email confirming my admission into the Fall 2014 Web Skills Online Class program.

Thank you, American English Institute and University of Oregon, for giving me this opportunity to broaden my knowledge and skills and to grow as a technology minded educator.


No comments:

Post a Comment